Monday, May 30, 2005

This is it, Ric Converse finally has a website!!!! Alot of people kept asking why I didnt have a website yet..... I know it's been a long time coming, but better late than never. Along w/ the website, i've been turned onto this whole blog revolution that everyone and there momma is involved in, so i'll be letting some of my thoughts out when I feel it's needed, as well as keeping people up to par w/ anything I got going on in the great indy-wrestling world.

For this first entry, I wanna discuss the good and bad of the wrestling industry. Why does the wrestling buisness change people?? In some cases, it changes people for the better. Take someone who gets into wrestling first and foremost because they absolutely love it, period. Someone who's watched it since they were a young, impressionable child who needed something to help them dream. Help them to get away from something in there life that hurt there self-esteem, maybe from verbal or physical abuse at home or school, or in my case, being bullied and picked on for being a chubby kid. I used to walk to school alone, and everyday there were a few kids/teenagers(i was like 8 at the time) that would stop me, take my lunch out of my lunchbox, search my pockets for any money that my parents would give me, and call me names as they walked off laughing.... and I walked on to school, crying. Something like this will do one of two things to a kid: make them act exactly like the bullies thinking it's the only way to get respect, or make them want to be person who stands up for the right way of treating people and getting respect thru your actions...... enter HULK HOGAN!!! The first wrestler I ever saw on TV was the Hulkster. And he was just what I needed in my life at 8 years old and since I was in the kind of situation that Hogan always seemed to stand up for. After listening to Hogan and watching how he stood up to the big, mean , nasty Andre the Giant(and won), I decided it was time for me to do the same. I finally got the nerve to stand up to those bullies. One day I saw them coming towards me, and I was scared to death, but it was now or never. When one of them went for my pocket, I pulled away. They looked at me like "what? you know we can kick that face in dont you?!". And I knew they could, but I had enough..... in my mind, I was HULK HOGAN, and I was gonna do this for the right of any kid who was in my situation. The other kid grabbed at my lunchbox and i pulled it out of his hands. In all honesty, I was about to cry at this point, but I was standing up, and it must have worked, because they walked off(still calling me names), and I still had my lunch and $2 I got from mom. After that day, they didnt bother me anymore. They would glare at me like they might jump me at any time, but they never once again jacked me up in the middle of the road and took my stuff from me. And I owe that moment in my life to pro wrestling, because it helped change me in a way that I have never forgotten. I handled other situations in my life in the same manner as I got older, wrestling was the best thing that ever happened to me. I dreamed of the day I could just step thru the ropes of a ring and make this fantasy a reality. When I was 18, I finally got to start training to wrestle. This was it, my dream was coming true. I didnt care that it was in a VFW Hall, it was secondary. I was on top of the world, and couldn't wait to learn more. Wrestling was my passion, and in my mind, I was gonna be the best that I could....... I met some good people that helped me to understand and respect what I was getting into, and i'm very thankful for that.

Now for the bad..... Why do some people forget where they came from? Why do they start believing that there career or goals are more important than someone elses?? I've met soooo many people since that first day I started, I still see a few of the crew from the early days sometimes(very few), and when I do, it takes me back to those days when I just loved everything about the wrestling buisness, back to when I didnt see the bad yet. Over the last 2 years, I started seeing and hearing things from people that I knew or met when they were coming into the buisness, and some of it shocks the hell out of me. Some of it just plain out hurts my feelings, because I knew that other person that they once were, the person that the people that they meet today knows nothing about. Wrestling is a strong machine that can alter someones thinking if they let it, and make them forget right and wrong. It becomes an "anything goes" approach to try and make it to the top. People start thinking the only way to make it is to be out for yourself only, and step on anyone who gets in the way, friend or enemy. The same people that looked you in the face years earlier and was so happy to just get involved in wrestling, didnt matter where you were wrestling or if there was 10 people watching or 1000 watching, they just wanted to be part of the show, all of a sudden cant work for certain promotions because it's not gonna do anything to get them into the big league. I dont understand that. The way i see it, you should try to work w/ everyone you can(as long as they're not extremely reckless) whether they are super-green or a seasoned veteran, because you can learn just as much when you have to carry someone green as you can when a vet is carrying you. People start living there life in what I've termed the "wrestling fantasy world", acting as if they are now the character they portray infront of the crowd. It's sucks to see this happen. To loose friendship and trust because of a booking or reputation or a position. I was talking w/ a fellow wrestler recently about the way things are, and this guys been involved in wrestling for almost 20 years now, and he told me "it's not the buisness that sucks, it's the a--holes that get in it." I agree. Wrestling is a huge part of my life, but I know where it stands in my life. When this subject comes to my mind, I think of an all-time great in wrestling, Shawn Michaels. He was put in the top position for a long time, and did a outstanding job. Almost anyone will agree with that statement. But other wrestlers have said that he had a very bad reputation for a long time and was very easy to dislike because he walked around thinking he was a little bit better than others. He was since come out and admitted in numerous interviews and magazine articles that he was lost and didnt realize it. I enjoyed watching Shawn Michaels just like everyone, and admired his ability in a wrestling ring, but I like him even more now since he's been so vocal in the last few years about how he got caught in the "wrestling fantasy world" and forgot who he was. He has since changed his whole life around and you can truely see a difference in him, just listen to some of his interviews. When I got to meet him back in 2002, he seemed very down to earth, not like he thought he was so much better than anyone who was there to meet him, just happy that he was in the position that he was in and that everyone respected him for being himself. He's not scared or ashamed to openly admit to that the way he was before was wrong, and I think more of him for that than any wrestling match he's ever had. This is something that's been on my mind for a long time, and it's finally all coming out at once. Some of us can high-fly better than others, some can construct a match better, some just can bring excitement to a match without really trying... we all have our certain gifts that we've been given, respect them and don't forget that it can be gone in a second, all it takes is for someone to drop you wrong on a simple bodyslam and it's all over.
Now, let this marinate in your minds for a bit......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home